History

VIDEO: FISHER COMPANIES HISTORY

Ralph J. “R.J.” Fisher Sr. and his wife, Zelda, founded the Fisher Companies in 1925 with the start of their first business, Fisher Sand and Gravel, of Midland, Michigan. The couple managed a small farm, and R.J. began to supplement their income with teamster work. By World War I, he operated 14 teams of horses to provide hauling and gravel services for the Dow Chemical Company and Midland County. Together, Zelda, R.J. and their sons Arthur “Bill,” James and Ralph “Bud” weathered the Great Depression, labor and material shortages, and World War II, in which Bill and Jim served.

Upon Bill and Jim’s return from military service and Bud’s coming of age, the brothers purchased Fisher Sand & Gravel, with Jim serving as president and continued to grow the business that their parents had established. In the five decades that followed, they would develop the Fisher Companies until, combined, they formed a 400-employee operation with an annual volume of over $100 million.

The brothers founded Central Concrete Products in 1955 and Alma Concrete in 1960. With Bud serving as president, the companies provided ready mix concrete, sand and gravel, as well as construction supplies and services, to the Mt. Pleasant and Alma areas. The brothers would later maintain both locations but merge the companies as Central Concrete for maximum efficiency. In 1957, they further founded Fisher Contracting, with Bill as president, providing construction and heavy civil contractor services to a variety of federal, state, municipal and private clients in the Great Lakes region.

The enterprising brothers would go on to add four more related companies, Fisher Transportation (1970), which originally hauled bulk cement to the brothers’ ready mix plants but has since grown into a major trucking company, providing construction hauling services throughout mid-Michigan; Central Asphalt (1982), which offers a full range of services, from residential to major public roadway asphalt projects; Bay Aggregate (1983), which is a major supplier of quarried stone products to the mid-Michigan area; and Midland Engine (1984), a high-end machine shop and heavy equipment dealer with a strong reputation throughout Michigan for its quality sales and service. The most recent addition to the Fisher Companies, is Mt. Pleasant’s Bucks Run Golf Club, which opened in summer 2000 on the site of a former Fisher Sand and Gravel pit.

Today, the companies still boast a strong network throughout the state of Michigan, and a sound financial position. The Fisher name means high quality, dependability, and excellence. All of the companies which comprise the Fisher Companies adhere to the same demanding standards, as they supply their products and services to their customers. The Fisher Companies are proud of their outstanding reputation and longevity, and look forward to putting their experienced people, state-of-the-art fleet of equipment, and abilities to work for you.